Ever experienced this . . . It’s the beginning of the church service, the worship team starts to play, and 30 seconds later you’re already bored? Or maybe you love music and are into the first upbeat song, but as time goes on, you feel awkward because you aren’t sure what you’re supposed to be doing. Ever heard the word “worship” and wondered what it was really all about, or how you’re supposed to go about doing it?
Simply put, worship is our response to God’s goodness, love, and grace. He’s done so many amazing things for us, so we worship Him. It’s all about spending time with Him, connecting with Him personally – setting aside time to turn our focus towards Him. Maybe you understand this theoretically, but still aren’t sure how to do what we call “worshiping.” Honestly, there’s no clear-cut answer. God is our best friend, and just as different people connect with their friends in different ways,each individual connects best with God a little differently. If you aren’t sure how to get started, however, here are some ideas to help you out!
- Trying doing something that can help you to turn your focus towards God like raising your hands or kneeling, which are signs of surrender.
- Close your eyes and picture Jesus there with you.
- Focus on the words of the song and what they really mean.
- Talk to God quietly in your own words about what’s going on in your life, good or bad.
- Tell God what you appreciate most about Him. Not sure where to start? Think of words that describe Him!
- Say “thank You” for all of the blessings He’s given you.
- Not sure what to say? Pray in tongues!
- Be still and allow God to speak to you. Spend some time listening for what He has to say. (You may even want to bring a notebook to write down what you feel that He’s saying to you.)
Next time you aren’t sure what to do during worship time, try out one of these ideas as a starting point. Who knows – as you develop the habit of spending time with God, you may even want to turn on worship music and have your own time of praising Him during the week!
Latest posts by Emily (see all)
- How to Find Scriptures That Apply to Your Situation - October 17, 2017
- How to See What God Sees - October 17, 2017
- It’s a Myth! – I’m Not Talented Enough to Accomplish What God Has for Me - October 9, 2017